Can Mederma Be Used To Treat Acne Scars?
Know what to expect and what not from this skin-friendly topical treatment.
Acne scars are stubborn, and it is tough to get rid of them. Several products on the market claim to help you get rid of them, but none of them prove to be effective. However, using Mederma for acne scars is increasingly becoming popular. However, is it worth the hype? How effective is it in healing acne scars?
Mederma helps improve your skin and removes these acne scars. It is one of the best effective solutions available on the market these days.
People who have used Mederma swear by its efficacy and claim that it is the best topical treatment that works without irritating the skin.
Still not sure of using Mederma for your acne scars? We can help you. This article discusses how Mederma will act on your skin, make your scars less noticeable, and fade them away. Keep reading to know more.
[ Read: Dermaroller for Acne Scars ]
In This Article
How Does The Mederma Acne Scars Product Work?
Mederma, as I have mentioned is a topical gel application composed of two primary ingredients, Onion and Aloe Vera gel.
- Aloe Vera is well-known for skin care, while onion is a lesser known healing agent and curative for the skin. Aloe Vera has long been used in lotions, creams and gels for its healing properties.
- Onion is an anti-bacterial agent that helps to reduce skin inflammation and redness as well as work on the skin for an even tone and smooth complexion.
- Onion extract promotes collageni XA structural protein that helps in giving strength, support, and elasticity to the skin, bone, and connective tissue. production and inhibits inflammation.
Mederma is a gel that combines the healing process of these two powerful agents to create a potent application to rid your body of acne scars.
[ Read: Use Olive Oil To Get Rid Of Acne Scars ]
Why I Trust Mederma for Acne Scars?
This product works! I can safely say this through personal experience. What I appreciate about the makers is that they do not mislead you into thinking that your scars will completely disappear.
The product label clearly says that your scars will lighten and become nearly invisible with consistent application. As a consumer, I believe this gives you a fair idea of what to expect with the product, an important consideration for me – honest, fair and realistic claims.
[ Read: Remove Pimples On Eyelids ]
Is It Safe for Skin Application?
Yes it is.
- Mederma is composed of natural ingredients, making this completely safe for skin application.
- Unless you have known allergies to certain chemicals, Aloe Vera or onion extract, the gel does not cause any side effects or discomfort, allowing you to apply it before you go to work, begin your daily errands or pursue other activities.
- Bear in mind however, that the gel only helps to hide the scars, not erase them completely. If you stop the application before the acne scars blend completely with your skin, the scars could become visible again.
- If you do find your skin becoming irritated or red, stop the treatment and consult a dermatologist immediately.
Is Mederma Limited To Acne Scars?
I have used the product for acne scars, but I do know that it is effective on a variety of scars. The gel works well if you have had hypertrophyi XThe enlargement in volume or size of an organ due to an increase in the size of component cells in response to a stimulus. , accident scars, blemishesi XAny type of spot, mark, discoloration, or flaw on the skin left behind due to acne, pimples, whiteheads, or blackheads. and spots on the skin.
While the gel should not be used as a daily beauty cream, it does lighten dark spots, old and new scars. Apply the gel on the affected areas three times a day, and try not to miss an application till the scar has lightened significantly.
I Have Tried Mederma But My Scars Remain:
You will need to consult a dermatologist immediately. Perhaps the scars you have require a stronger application. Your Doctor will evaluate your skin and recommend treatment or surgical procedures to remove the scar.
I would suggest Mederma to every other teenager who shies away from parties so that they are not rebuked for having unghastly scars. Mederma is safe on the skin, practically has no side effects, and also helps preventing formation of new zits. I have tried it, and like I said it really works. Now it is your turn!
[ Read: Foods That Cause Acne ]
Infographic: Mederma For Acne Scars: How Does It Work?
Mederma is widely used to heal both new and old acne scars. While the scars may not go away completely, the ointment can help fade their appearance to a great extent. It is enriched with potent botanical extracts that work in specific ways to improve your skin texture. The infographic below summarizes how Mederma may help heal the scars. Take a look!
Mederma is an ointment containing onion and aloe vera gel as its primary ingredients. These two ingredients’ antibacterial and anti-inflammatory nature makes Mederma a powerful topical treatment option for acne issues. You may use Mederma for acne scars and other skin issues, like blemishes and dark spots. However, it may not show results to everyone. In such cases, consult a doctor and determine which scar removal treatment may suit you the best. Always do a patch test before applying the gel to the affected area.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does Mederma take to remove acne scars?
It may take anywhere in between 4-8 weeks to see visible results.
What is better Mederma or vitamin E?
While vitamin E keeps your skin moisturized, Mederma is more effective when it comes to scars and marks.
Do you wash Mederma off?
Yes, you should wash off the previous layer before reapplying it in a day.
Does Mederma make your skin peel?
While it is usually safe to use for all skin types, for some people it may lead to skin peeling as a side effect. You can do a patch test to be sure of how your skin responds to Mederma.