Curd For Face: What It Does For Your Skin And How To Use It
As an exfoliator or a hydrator, learn how to apply this dairy product for skin nourishment!
Using fermented ingredients and probiotics for skin has garnered a lot of fan following, thanks to K-beauty. However, this practice is not new. Most of us have been reaching out to curd face packs whenever we feel our skin is screaming for attention! This practice is widely followed in Asian countries. Curd (or yogurt) is packed with good bacteria, fatty acids, and lactic acid and instantly soothe red, irritated, and sunburned skin. Scroll down to understand its skin benefits and check out easy-to-make curd face pack recipes.
Benefits Of Applying Curd On Your Face
Curd is one of the most common skincare ingredients used by women. It is readily available, feels incredibly soothing on the skin, and helps to improve skin quality.
A study evaluated the use of fermented dairy products (like yogurt) on the skin and found that oral, as well as a topical application, of these products, may improve skin health (1). However, further studies are required to assess their efficacy.
In another study, researchers evaluated the efficacy of a yogurt face pack on human skin. They found that the face pack decreased the levels of transepidermal water loss in treated areas and improved moisture level, brightness, and elasticity of the skin (2).
As yogurt is similar to curd, curd may exhibit the same effects.
Apart from that, curd has a number of benefits, such as:
- Helps To Exfoliate Your Skin – Curd, like any other milk product, contains lactic acid, which may help exfoliate dead skin cells and keep the skin smooth.
- Nourishes Your Skin – The essential fats, proteins, vitamins, and minerals in curd help nourish your skin and keep it healthy.
- Maintains Skin Health – Curd keeps skin issues at bay by maintaining its elasticity and improving brightness.
- Keeps Your Skin Hydrated – The rich fat content in curd can help seal moisture into your skin, keeping it hydrated for a long time. It may also help tackle a bad tan, dullness, and pigmentation.
- Soothes Your Skin – Curd has a cooling effect on your skin. It can relieve inflammation and acne and keep the skin comfortable.
All of these properties make curd an excellent skincare ingredient. Here’s how you can use it.
10 Curd Face Packs For Different Skin Types
1. Curd And Honey Face Pack
Directions: This face pack is suitable for normal to dry skin types. Mix 2 tablespoons of curd with a tablespoon of honey. Apply this mixture to your face and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Wash the mixture off with cold water later.
How It May Help: Honey has moisturizing and therapeutic properties (3). Together, with curd, it makes for an excellent moisturizing combo.
2. Curd And Besan (Gram Flour) Face Pack
Directions: This face pack is perfect for normal to oily skin types. Mix a tablespoon of gram flour or besan with 2 tablespoons of curd. Combine the curd and besan until you get a smooth and consistent mixture and apply this mixture to your face. Wash off after it dries.
How It May Help: Besan is a common ingredient in home-made face packs and helps to exfoliate, cleanse, and brighten the skin.
3. Curd And Turmeric Face Pack
Directions: This face pack suits all skin types. You have to mix curd with half a teaspoon of turmeric and apply this mixture to your face and leave it on for about 15 minutes before washing off.
How It May Help: Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties (4). Along with clearing out your skin, this face pack also leaves your face glowing with health.
4. Curd And Lemon Face Pack
Directions: This face pack helps to brighten the skin and evens out your skin tone. Normal to oily skin types can try it. You have to combine lemon juice (diluted) and curd. Apply this mixture to your face and leave it on to dry before washing.
How It May Help: Lemon juice contains citric acid (which gives it the sour taste), an AHA that may help improve epidermal thickness (5). You may use this natural AHA to improve your skin quality.
5. Curd And Oats Face Pack
Directions: This face pack is perfect for those with sensitive skin. Combine curd and oats. Apply this mixture to your face and wash it off after it dries.
How It May Help: Oatmeal is an excellent exfoliating ingredient. It also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties (6). When combined with curd, it makes for an excellent face pack that helps remove blackheads and pimples, giving you clear skin.
Akis Ntonos, Esthetic Dermatologist, says, “Protein, probiotics, and vitamin D are all abundant in curd. The skin ultimately receives all the necessary nutrients from these substances. The overproduction of sebum or oil in your skin, which is frequently the root of boils, acne, and pimples, is controlled by curd. Overall, the lactic acid and zinc in curd can benefit dry or acne-prone skin.”
6. Curd And Tomato Face Pack
Directions: People with any skin type can try this face pack. Combine the curd and tomato juice in a bowl until you get a smooth and consistent mixture. Apply this mixture to your face and wash off after it dries.
How It May Help: Anecdotal evidence suggests that it can help minimize tan and tighten the skin pores.
7. Curd And Potato Face Pack
Directions: This face pack is suitable for all skin types. Combine curd and raw potato pulp and apply it on your face. Let it dry and then wash off.
How It May Help: This curd and potato face pack are said to help even out your skin tone, minimize tan, and restore the natural complexion.
8. Curd And Cucumber Face Pack
Directions: This soothing face pack is suitable for all skin types. Combine curd with raw cucumber juice and massage on your face. Leave it to dry and then wash off.
How It May Help: This is an extremely hydrating face pack that helps calm and soothe your skin. It also helps remove a tan and clean out your skin tone.
According to Akis Ntonos, Esthetic Dermatologist, “Since curd is a natural moisturizing agent, it helps by hydrating dark circles and resulting in smooth, soft skin that aids in preventing dryness. Additionally, it can reduce tan, treat acne, and promote healthy skin.”
[Read: How To Get Rid Of Pockmarks On Face]
9. Curd And Orange Peel Face Pack
Directions: If you have oily skin or mature skin, this face pack may help you. To use this, mix curd and dried orange peel powder and massage it on your skin. Leave it to dry and then wash off.
How It May Help: Orange peel is said to have anti-aging properties. A study shows that alcoholic extracts of Mandarin orange have antioxidant and anti-enzymatic activities and can be used in anti-aging formulations (7).
10. Curd And Multani Mitti Face Pack
Directions: If you have oily and sensitive skin, try this face pack. Mix equal amounts of curd and Multani mitti and apply the paste to your skin. Wash it off after it dries.
How It May Help: Multani mitti helps to remove dead skin cells from the skin and keeps it radiant (8).
Infographic: 5 Homemade Curd Face Packs You Can Try
Curd is a popular ingredient used in many Asian countries as part of their daily skincare routine. Curd contains essential vitamins and minerals that nourish and soothe inflamed skin.
We have compiled a list of 5 homemade curd face packs you can try at home. Check out the infographic below to know more!
Curd is one of the most used ingredients in skin care. Curd face packs are a valuable addition to your skin care regimen as they benefit the skin in multiple ways. It can soothe the skin and improve its health and moisture levels. It also helps exfoliate and nourish the skin. You can mix curd with honey, gram flour, cucumber, orange peel, fuller earth turmeric, lemon, oats, tomatoes, and potatoes to make these face packs. Try including these face packs in your skin care regimen at least once or twice a week to reap their wonderful benefits!
Frequently Asked Questions
How frequently should I use curd face packs?
Use them twice or thrice a week.
Can I leave curd on my face overnight?
You may catch a cold if you leave it overnight. It is better to use it during the daytime.
Which is better for the face: milk or curd?
Both milk and curd contain beneficial ingredients for your skin. Milk, especially when raw, is rich in vitamins that moisturize and nourish your facial skin. Curd contains lactic acid that is a fantastic exfoliant.
How long does curd take to lighten skin?
You may notice some difference on your face in 20 to 30 minutes after using curd. However, you need to use it regularly for a few months to see more visible effects on your skin tone.
- Effects of Fermented Dairy Products on Skin: A Systematic Review. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Clinical efficacy of facial masks containing yoghurt and Opuntia humifusa Raf. (F-YOP). Journal of Cosmetic Sciences, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Honey in dermatology and skincare: a review. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Effects of Turmeric (Curcuma longa) on Skin Health: A Systematic Review of the Clinical Evidence, Phytotherapy Research, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Citric acid increases viable epidermal thickness and glycosaminoglycan content of sun-damaged skin. US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Oatmeal in dermatology: a brief review. Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprology, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Evaluation of Skin Anti-aging Potential of Citrus reticulata Blanco Peel, Pharmacognosy Research, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- In-House Preparation and Standardization of Herbal Face Pack, The Open Dermatology Journal, Bentham Open.