20 Curly Ponytail Hairstyles That Every Woman Should Try
Get inspired to pull up your curls in all their glory and swing them around.
While ponytails are undoubtedly your best bet to give that touch of freshness to your look, curly ponytail hairstyles add the right amount of bounce to your hair. In addition, they give you the oomph you need to make your hair stand out in the crowd.
Master hair stylist and owner of Nickieology Beauty Unleashed, Nebraska, Nickie Addison says, “A pony is the easiest and quick camouflage for messy looking curls. We all know a cute pony style can dress up or dress down our look and give us a few extra days between washes. Hashtag timesaver!”
So, we have listed some of these curly ponytail hairstyles sported by celebrities that you must try. Scroll down to find your faves!
- Curly hair is more prone to dryness and damage. Make sure your curls are properly conditioned and moisturized before you style them in any manner.
- Avoid tying your ponytail too tightly as it can tug harshly on your scalp and lead to hair breakage.
- You can use simple clips, bows, and even flowers as accessories to glam up your curly ponytail.
What You Will Need:
- Rubber or elastic bands
- Hair spray or gel to keep flyaways at bay
- Water (in a spray bottle) to keep your hair damp and manageable while you style them
- A hairbrush
- Flat iron and curling iron (for some styles)
In This Article
Curly Ponytail Ideas That you Should Try:
1. Middle-Parted Curly Ponytail:
- Style your hair in loose curls from the middle of your hair to the ends.
- Part your hair in the middle, gather it into a low ponytail, and tie it with an elastic.
- Apply hair mousse to the crown and finger brush your ponytail for a tousled look.
2. Curly Ponytail With Choppy Bangs:
- Get choppy bangs for this look if you don’t already have them.
- Brush the bangs and style them with a straightener, with the ends slightly rounded inward.
- Gather all your hair into a high ponytail and tie it.
- Style the ponytail in loose curls and waves and finger comb them.
3. Wraparound Low Ponytail:
- To get this look, blow dry your hair with a round hairbrush to smoothen and volumize it.
- Brush your hair backward, gather it into a low ponytail, and tie it with an elastic. Apply hair gel or mousse for a sleek look.
- Take a section of your hair and wrap it around the elastic to cover it.
- If you have straight hair, curl your ponytail and use a medium-hold setting spray to make the curls last long.
4. Front Braid Curly Ponytail:
- For this hairstyle, separate a 2-inch section of the hair in the front and make a simple three-strand braid close to the scalp and towards the side.
- Now, gather the rest of the hair and the end of the braid and pull it into a high ponytail.
- Tuck the braid to the back of your head with bobby pins.
- Finally, curl the ends of your ponytail section-wise using a medium barrel curler.
5. Curtain Bangs With Curly Ponytail:
- You should have curtain bangs for this look. Straighten your hair from the front to the nape if you have curly hair.
- Tease the hair at the crown for volume, gently comb them back, and secure the pouf with bobby pins.
- Part the bangs in the middle, sweep your hair to the side and tie it, so the ponytail falls over the shoulder.
- Style the ponytail in curls using a medium barrel curling iron and use hairspray to set the look.
6. Sleek Side-Parted Curly Low Ponytail:
- Dampen your hair and apply hair gel to the roots. Part your hair on one side and comb it thoroughly. Gently lay the hair toward the back of the head.
- Smoothen the hair with your hands as you lay them to tame the flyaways. Tie the hair in a ponytail at the back of your head.
- Apply edge control and style the baby hair strands. You may apply a curl gel to define the ringlets.
- Those with straight hair can use a curling tong to make tight ringlets.
7. Bouffant Ponytail:
- Style your tresses in loose curls using a medium barrel curler.
- Separate two small sections from each temple and tease the hair at the crown to make the bouffant.
- Gently comb the teased hair and gather the rest of the hair to make a high ponytail.
- You may pull out a few strands at the crown for added volume.
- Style the two hair sections in the front in loose ringlets and use hairspray to keep the hairstyle in place.
8. Laid Down Curly Ponytail:
- Part your hair on one side and curl your locks in S-shaped waves as close to the roots as possible.
- Take a few hair sections, twist them, gather all hair at the nape, and tie a low ponytail.
- Gently pull the hair in the front to loosen them a bit and set everything with hairspray.
9. Swoopy Bangs With Curly Ponytails:
- To achieve this look, apply volumizing mousse to freshly washed hair and make a side parting.
- Use a straightening iron and style your bangs away from your face so they fall across your forehead.
- Tie the rest of the hair in a low ponytail.
- Using a curling iron of medium barrel, style the ponytail, working on one small section at a time.
10. Puff With Curly Ponytail:
- To achieve this look, tease the front hair sections and make a voluminous puff. If you have thin hair, you can use a puff volumizer.
- Make a high ponytail and curl your hair section-wise using a small to medium barrel curler.
11. Messy High Ponytail:
- Style your hair in loose waves from the roots to the tips to do this hairstyle (if you do not have naturally wavy hair).
- Part your hair in the middle. Leave just a few strands on both sides and tie the rest of your hair to the back of your head.
- Now curl the ends of your hair using a big barrel curler.
12. Side Parted Curly Side Ponytail:
- This hairstyle works best on relaxed hair. If you have kinky hair, get them relaxed.
- Make a side part and apply hair gel to the roots. Comb the hair and lay them flat. You may smoothen them with your fingers.
- Now, tie a side ponytail and divide the hair into three or four sections.
- Curl each section inward with a big barrel curler and apply hairspray.
13. Wrap Around Ponytail:
- For this look, tie a sleek, high ponytail. Take a small section from the tail and wrap it around its base.
- Curl the ponytail and apply hair gel to tame flyaways and loose hair strands.
14. Simple Ponytail:
- For this look, you need to tie a neat, low ponytail with no parting.
- Style the ponytail in medium-sized loose, soft curls. Finger comb them for a tousled look.
15. Sleek Side Parted Curly Ponytail:
- To achieve this hairstyle, part your hair ear-to-ear and separate the back section with a clip. Part the front section on one side and lay it flat.
- Remove the clip from the back section and tease the hair at the top of the head for volume.
- Comb all hair together and make a low, side ponytail.
Apply hair gel to the front section to tame flyaways and stray hair. Use a curling iron to style the ponytail in a mix of inward and outward-facing curls.
16. A Low Curly Ponytail
This is a perfect ponytail for curly hair.
- To get this look, take a straightening iron/ flat iron and straighten the front section of your hair, brush and place it at the back of your head.
- Hold the hair in the place you want your low ponytail to be and hand brush the rest of the hair (below the spot where you are holding) and tie it with a tight elastic band.
- For those with wavy or straight hair, part the hair into 4/5 sections (depending on the volume of your hair).
- Use a medium barrel curling iron to create looser curls if desired.
- In the end, use a hair gel or spray to keep the hairstyle intact throughout the day.
17. Messy Curly Ponytail
- For this look, just brush your hair lightly to get rid of any tangles, hold the hair in one hand, take the elastic and secure the hair using it.
- Keep the ponytail slightly high and use a curler to make some curls in the back parts of the hair and some waves into the first section of hair (for people who do not have natural curly hair).
18. A High Curly Ponytail
If you have long curly hair then try this ponytail style.
- Straighten the first section of your hair and then tease it. Brush out the rest of the hair.
- Use an elastic band to make a ponytail that sits over the head, ensuring that the back section of the hair (the ponytail) does not weigh the front section of the hair down.
- Apply some gel to keep the flyaways at bay, letting you manage your long tresses.
- Girls with straight hair can tease the front section of hair and secure it.
- Use a curling iron (of different barrel sizes) to create some big loose bouncy curls.
- Apply hair spray to keep the hairstyle intact for long hours.
- To enhance the look, use accessories like some stone studded clips or hairpins.
19. Curly Ponytail Hairstyle
Girls with curly hair do not need a straightener. This basic ponytail adds tons of irresistible charm to your natural curls.
- Brush your hair and hold it tightly at the back of the head.
- Make it at a middle height and secure it with tight elastic.
- Take a small section of the hair and wrap it over the elastic, to hide it from being seen.
- You may leave a few strands loose in the front for a dreamy, youthful look.
- Finish it with a hair spray to get a clean and long lasting look.
20. Side Curly Ponytail Idea
- For the above curly side ponytail look, take a flat iron and straighten the front section of hair.
- If you have straight hair, start by parting your hair and hold all of your hair at the side, where you want your ponytail.
- Secure it using an elastic band and curl the hair in sections.
- Curl them in two different sizes to create more shapes and volume.
- Keep the front section loose and let it hang loosely on the face.
One of the best hairstyles to flaunt your curls in is a ponytail. A ponytail allows you to style your hair while still showcasing those perfect curls. It is also a great coverup hairstyle if you haven’t washed your curly tresses. You can try a low, side, high, messy, or loose ponytail depending on your preference and the occasion. Loose, low, and side curly ponytails are wonderful to flaunt at formal events like weddings. A high curly ponytail best suits a work meeting or a night out. If you are just chilling at home, you can try a loose or messy ponytail, so even if someone stops by suddenly, you look perfect.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you do a sleek ponytail with curly hair?
Section your damp curls, apply gel, comb them, and rinse. Repeat with each section until the product is evenly spread. Next, comb your gelled hair to stretch the curls smoothly and secure it into a ponytail.
How do you do a cute messy ponytail?
Pull all your hair up to the crown of your head and secure it into a ponytail. Take an inch of the hair section from the ponytail to wrap it around its base. You can skip the last step and use a bright, oversized satin hair scrunchy for an extra touch of cuteness. It is better to try it with second-day hair that may have a naturally messy texture.
What is a double ponytail?
A double ponytail is a hairstyle that uses two ponytails tied close together, one above the other. The result looks like a single voluminous ponytail with cascading layers as the top ponytail covers the base of the one below it.
How do you do a high ponytail without bumps?
Start with a half-up ponytail. For that, section your hair ear-to-ear at the back of your head, dividing them into top and bottom halves. Brush your top half and secure it into a ponytail at your desired base spot. Then brush the rest of your hair up, add it to the base of the half-up ponytail and tie them.
Image source: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5